2017 RA Blog Week Day 2: My Tricks and Tips to Work Around My Physical Difficulties and Limitations

I still grieve for the old me - one who can run, work 16 hours a day, and still have energy for family responsibilities and activities. The diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis six years ago ended life as I knew it. No longer is my energy level guaranteed from day to day. Some days my mind is "fogged in" more than others, and pain levels are never the same. The level of frustration at having these challenges is something that I have never experienced.

 As a means of "survival", I've learned to use different strategies and methods  to accomplish goals and still enjoy my life.  One of the most important strategies I've adopted is to use the many gadgets that are available to those of us who have RA or other forms of arthritis.

I start my day using a shower chair.  This allows me to sit down on those days where standing is difficult, or raising my arms to wash my hair is challenging.  These can be purchased at most pharmacies.

A big area of challenge for me is in the kitchen.  I enjoy cooking but often times find that I cannot open jars, cut food items or lift a skillet.  One of my most valuable devices is a jar opener that has a wide handle and extra padding on the handles for easy placement in my hands and on the jar lids.  This really helps in alleviating the frustration of not being able to cook independently.  I also use a saddle top stool with a back that allows me to sit at the kitchen island while cutting vegetables with  wide handled adaptive kitchen scissors or I can sit at the stove while cooking.

Needing a new car ended up being a blessing in disguise!  Not being able to get up and down easily on some days (and in and out of cars low to the ground, i.e. sports car) I purchased a SUV.  My SUV sits up higher and I can easily step into the car without difficulty.  It has all the bells and whistles which allows me to travel long distances comfortably.

On especially tough days, I use a TENS machine which my PT recommended.  Heating pads, hot baths, good books to read and Netflix help those days become more manageable.  As much as it hurts, I just keep moving.

The Arthritis Foundation website has a link available which connects to the recommended assistive devices "endorsed" by the Foundation.  Check it out!!  Many interesting things available that may meet your unique needs!!!


RABADGE2017.png


Comments

  1. Such a positive attitude . I wish I didn’t feel so angry . Even more importantly , how do I get rid of the victim mentality . I hate who I have become .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love cooking and it annoys me so much when I can't because of pain. I also use a stool! And lately, I've been working up dishes that require less chopping, more sitting and stirring or put on the grill leave it! LOL. You have an amazing attitude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with RA six years ago, also. That is when the term "new normal" became real to me. Thanks for your encouraging words! XXOO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RA Blog Week - Day 3 My Knight in Shining Armor in a 2011 Crown Victoria with Red and Blue Lights on Top