RA Blog Week - Day 3 My Knight in Shining Armor in a 2011 Crown Victoria with Red and Blue Lights on Top

Many girls are raised to believe that a Knight in Shining Armor on a big white horse will swoop into their lives to save them and they will  live happily ever after. They are obviously tall dark and handsome and girls swoon as they walk by overcome with their good looks....UGH.  I don't believe in Fairy Tales or at least I didn't until I was in my 50's.   You see, unbeknownst to me, my Knight in Shining Armor is a bald guy who rode into my life in a 2011 Crown Victoria with Red and Blue Lights on top of his car. 

I had been widowed for close to twenty years, losing my late husband to an inoperable brain tumor. My life quickly became all about our young children - our youngest son was 4 years old at the time of his death.  I became both mom and dad and was solely responsible for making sure they were raised to be good people, get a college education and have a great start on their lives. Both kids were involved in sports which provided a foundation for their college educations.  The promises and dreams we had for our children  had been been fulfilled and it was time for me to live my life. 

My career was going great, my sons became independent young men, and life it seemed was going in the right direction. It was during this time that I was introduced to the person who would eventually be my husband. A lot of people are attracted to people in uniform... his polyester law enforcement uniform did "nothing" for me, but his charm, wit and quiet demeanor got my attention.  Eventually we began dating (does one say dating when you are over 50?),and became engaged. It was during this time my RA was  diagnosed.

I was scared, confused and convinced that I would be a burden.  Many times I gave him an out, saying that he didn't need to "sign  on" for the unknown future. After all, I had experience with being a caretaker and it is not easy, no matter how much you love the person!   He did not blink and said he is in this for the long haul and kept reminding me "I've got this".  After our years together, I am thankful everyday that he did not take me up on the offered "free pass".  He never hesitates to go to doctors appointments with me, he researches new information and treatments available and is a true partner in this journey. 

Many times the side effects of the infusions overwhelm my body and he is there to help.When things aren't going so well, he gives me the right amount of encouragement and provides his shoulders to cry on. It is not unusual for him to take over all responsibilities of the household and manages to provide comic relief during the challenges of living with someone who has a chronic illness.

Yes Mom, I do believe in Knights in Shining Armors, but mine is a bald guy in a 2011 Crown Victoria with Read and Blue Lights on top.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2017 RA Blog Week Day 2: My Tricks and Tips to Work Around My Physical Difficulties and Limitations